ADVANCED ECO ACCREDITATION
The definition of Ecotourism adopted by Ecotourism Australia is:
”Ecotourism is ecologically sustainable tourism with a primary focus on experiencing natural areas that fosters environmental and cultural understanding, appreciation and conservation”.
The ECO Certification logo is a globally recognised brand which assists travellers to choose and experience an authentic tour, attraction, cruise or accommodation, with the assurance that the certified product has a commitment to best practice, is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable whilst providing a high quality ecotourism experience.
There are 3 levels of ECO certification:
- Nature Tourism
- Ecotourism and
- Advanced Ecotourism
Ecotourism Australia defines Advanced Ecotourism certification as:
“Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities.
In July 2012, Both our Daintree Rainforest Tours TOUR ”A” Daintree Rainforest, Cape Tribulation via Mossman Gorge Tour and TOUR”B” Bloomfield Falls, Daintree Rainforest, Cape Tribulation tour were certified as Advanced Eco Tourism products by Australia’s peak body, Ecotourism Australia.
Tony’s Tropical Tours is proud to have achieved Advanced Ecotourism. This Advanced Ecotourism Certification indicates that we have reached the highest level possible in our operations under their criteria, making a daily contribution to ensuring as minimal an impact as possible on The Daintree Rainforest and our environment.
A great honour and a fabulous endorsement of the quality of tours we are delivering.
How are our Daintree Rainforest tours helping to make tourism sustainable?
Since the onset of the business over 15 years ago, Tony’s Tropical Tours has aimed at providing small group tours to the Daintree Rainforest and to the remote area of the Bloomfield Falls with a vision to present a Tour with as little impact as possible to the environment, whilst delivering an enjoyable and inspiring journey, and creating a better understanding of the Daintree Rainforest area. Operating within this World Heritage Listed Daintree Rainforest, we recognize environmental management as one of our highest responsibilities. In addition to providing the highest standard in touring we are committed by promoting environmental best practices and ensuring that this visitor experience is complemented by our sustainable approach to all aspects of our work.
We take seriously our responsibility to care for and protect the environment in which we operate and are committed to fostering environmental enlightenment, interpretation and the conservation of the unique bio-diversity of the Daintree Rainforest for our guests, other visitors and for future generations to continue to enjoy.
As part of our journey to Advanced Ecotourism we have implemented many initiatives
- We monitor the use of energy and other resources in an effort to reduce them even further.
- We reduce, re-use and recycle wherever possible and only use sustainable or recycled products where possible.
- Working closely with many small local suppliers, contributes to the local economy and saves on unnecessary food miles.?
- Our sustainable business practices also extend to the running of our office, where we adopt best business practice, by reducing printing, using recycled paper where possible and sending all correspondence by email. Fans and air-conditioners run at minimum.
- Our disturbance to wildlife is minimal as we keep noise levels down on our Rainforest walks thereby adding to the possibility of spotting more wildlife, such as the cassowary, boyd’s forest dragon, musky rat kangaroo, Bennett’s Tree kangaroo among other elusive rainforest wildlife.
- Our vehicles are serviced regularly to maintain optimal fuel efficiency.
- We continually assess the environmental impact of all our operations.
- We respect the sensitivities of the local Kuku Yalanji and Wujal Wujal community.
- We encourage our guests to reduce, re-use and recycle in their everyday life.
- Guests are also encouraged to ask questions and give feedback. They are informed about our natural walking tracks and are instructed to “Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints”
Want to help the environment and calculate the carbon footprint of your next holiday, please click here.
Only an Eco Certified product can carry the Logo. If you wish to search for other Eco Certified products please click here.
While travelling look for Ecotourism symbol as a way of ensuring a quality and certified eco tourism experience from a sustainable tourism operator.
Tony’s Tropical Tours is also proud to have been certified with the T-QAL logo Australian Tourism Quality Assured Product and the Australian Accredited Tourism Business logo.